Thursday, February 02, 2012

upgrading our headboard.

I showed y'all our plan for the decor of our master bedroom eons ago.  To refresh- I want we want an upholstered headboard, chunky side tables and chunky lamps. Something like this:

Southern Living

I even want a white duvet.  For our room we are going for clean, sophisticated, relaxing.  You with me?

Alright.  So I am terrible at progress shots, and I do have update photos regarding our new nightstands, and the new super cute lamps.  So stay tuned. But we're talking headboards today.

For our anniversary, Ryan selected a super cute necklace for me. He also said I could order the headboard I've been dreaming about.  Well, enter Elliot, and that extra gift was on hold for a bit.

But that's ok, because I wasn't not 100% sure of what path I wanted to go.  Since then,  I've done a lot of research- and finally selected the winner.

If cost were not an issue (and space), I would but the Colette Bed from Crate and Barrel.  Hands down my favorite bed of all time.


But at $1,800- it's about $1,000 too much. Even the thought of saving up for the bed over time doesn't seem smart, because let's face it- my tastes will change, and I don't want to be stuck with this bed for the rest of my life because I spent an arm and a leg on it.

I looked at a few other headboard + frame options. Macy's had the Berkley bed- and while priced better, it was still too much, and looked "chunky" to me. I also didn't like their fabric options (all suede).


As Ryan and I were looking at upholstered bed options (vs. just headboards) we realized that we weren't big fans of the upholstered bed railings. We liked the look of just a bed skirt + upholstered headboard. This was a nice realization as it saved cost, and it was nice to both be on the same page.

So headboard only it was- but there were many options down this avenue too. Problem was, many of them didn't extend all the way to the floor. The upholstered portion would stop around the mattress.  Even though once the bed was made, and pillows fluffed it is hard to tell. But it was something I didn't really like.

Example seen here, a very popular headboard from Skyline Furniture- yep I'm picky.


Then I found the Raleigh headboard at Pottery Barn. I actually saw the piece in the flesh at the store and thought "this is the headboard I've been picturing in my head". It was chunky, great fabric, and extended to the floor. It also had nailhead accents along the sides.


It was perfect. And I was ready to buy. But then started to second guess the purchase. Looking at the piece, it looked like it could be DIYed. Between some wood, batting, and linen fabric it could be crafted.  I even found this great Raleigh Headboard tutorial. Then I started second guessing that thought, coming to the realization that I didn't own half the tools needed to complete the project, and I wasn't convinced I could pull the look off. The last thing I wanted was my headboard to look like a project gone awry.

I didn't want to feel guilty every time I walked into my room- but I also didn't want to noticed the crooked headboard I crafted either. In the end I jumped the gun and bought the headboard. My deciding factor (beyond Ryan not super keen on having another 'to-do' on our list) was that our room is small, and basically houses our bed, so it would be nice to have a 'nice' piece in our room. Another thing to sway me was I made my decision around my birthday, just in time to ask for gift cards.

It was fun to go into the store and place our custom order. Such a grown up, we-own-a-house thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...