Monday, June 06, 2011

the saga continues.

I told ya'll about my plan for our night stands in our master bedroom.  I thought I was brilliant when I decided to order one of each, and return the loser.

Well joke's on me.

The first problem occurred when Target ran out of Legs (in black).  Must have been a popular choice.  Actually though,  I was leaning towards the Home Depot chest, so I wasn't completely bummed.  Sometimes it is nice when a decision is made for you.

I came home from work so excited to put together the dresser.  After an hour or so, she was up.  And it was horrible!  This size was fine.  But Squat was a piece-o-crap.  (Disguised by her price tag!)  The drawers were supposed to sit flush, like this picture here:


But instead, they were crooked and jank.



And for $300 + shipping, I was not a happy camper.  This piece was obviously going back to where it came from, but I decided that it was not a great piece of furniture like I was hoping.  So I disassembled Squat and took her back to Home Depot.

And then I was back at square one.  Lovely.

I decided to check out Ikea, to see if maybe they had a normal nightstand that would work.  I had seen a popular hack that people have done of the Rast dresser.

http://forme-foryou.com/2009/10/ikea-hack.html

But when I was on their website, I found this little guy:


Yep, meet Vallvik, or Vik for short.  He was the answer to my prayers.  Just the right size, the right number of drawers, and a price tag I could love- only $100.  I don't know how I missed him on my initial sweep of my go-to websites.  So I checked the stock at our local Ikea and hit the road.  I grabbed my cinnamon roll first, and walked around the store.

It was everything I hoped, so I snapped a photo of the location in the warehouse and carried on.  After a leisurely stroll I grabbed my cart, and hit the aisle.  And what I found: only 1 left!  I couldn't believe it.  I checked with a worker, and sure enough they were completely out. So I bought one, and went on my way.

After putting him together and deciding it was indeed perfect, I order his pair at ikea.com.  For $20 shipping, I couldn't beat that- as gas and my always necessary trip to the food court would be about the same price.

But, when my box arrived looking like this,


you could say I was about ready to blow my lid.

I decided I couldn't wait any longer, so this past weekend Ryan and I jumped in the car and went to pick up his sibling.  He is now home, safe and sound, and free of dents and dings.  But holy cow, it took awhile!

2 comments:

  1. I like the night stands! That process sounds frustrating, but it's good you are happy with the ones you ended up with! I wish we had an Ikea closer to us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha- it totally was! I'll have pictures soon, I realized I forgot to take one with our night stands all set up. Oh well- the distance of your Ikea just makes each trip that much more special!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...