Thursday, April 14, 2011

petey.

I call all hummingbirds Petey.  Every single one.   And when I see a hummingbird, I scream "Petey!"

I think I took the unoriginal idea from Dumb and Dumber.

In any case, I saw Petey right outside our house the other day, and I decided that I wanted a hummingbird feeder. While more for me, I thought Riley would enjoy it too.

So I went to Home Depot and picked up this cute feeder for $15.  I liked that it wasn't plastic and red.


I also found this great site, that explains what you can fill the feeder with.  Petey uses the feeder like we use coffee, just to get a quick jolt of energy.  So, I don't have to waste my money buying fancy nectar with nutrients and vitamins.  Call me the Starbuck's, not the GNC.

The site also listed this super easy recipe:
  • Use one part ordinary white cane sugar to four parts water.
  • It's not necessary to boil the water. The microorganisms that cause fermentation don't come from the water; they are transported to the feeder on hummingbird bills.
  • Store unused syrup in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
You also don't have to color the mixture red, as it doesn't attract Petey, and indeed may cause tumors for the little guy!

I hung it up yesterday, and he already stopped by for a java break.  I'll post photos soon!

1 comment:

  1. That is way cute! I might have to pick one of those up. We have always just used sugar water without food coloring and it works.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...